Rotaract was founded forty years ago, with the Rotaract Club of North Charlotte, Carolina being the first club to be chartered – on March 13, 1968.
The aim of the program was stated to be “to develop leadership and responsible citizenship through service to the community.”
- Rotaract is a Rotary sponsored service club for young men and women between the ages of 18 and 30.
- Rotaract helps members with leadership skills, career development, community and international service and the development of good friends and good fun.
- Rotaract club also meets as needed for their service projects and events.
- Rotaract clubs engage in local and international service, both independently and working with local Rotary clubs.
- Members address their communities’ physical and social needs while promoting international understanding and peace through a framework of friendship and service.
- Rotaractors are true “partners in service” and key members of the Rotary family, who work hand in hand with Rotarians.
- Following the founding of the Rotaract Club of North Charlotte, many existing Rotary based youth clubs changed their names to become an official Rotaract club. In the 1990’s, Rotaractors combined their organizations on an international level with the creation of Multi-District Organizations in Europe, Australia and South America.
- There are over 7,000 clubs in about 163 countries and geographical areas. Internationally, Rotaract is strong in Asia, Africa and South America as well as Europe, where Rotary membership may be exclusive or expensive
- As you connect with other young leaders in Rotaract, you can take advantage of all that Rotary has to offer, including:
- Scholarships and Fellowships
- Vocational Training Teams
- Rotary Club Membership